Postgresql pgagent Windows 7 32bit trouble starting service

Another adventure with datbase stuff.  I have a new machine and need to back up my Postgresql/PostGIS databases and want to use PGAGENT.  I have used my trusty .bat files and windows scheduler up until now and just want to try something new.
  1. First I read the great post from postgresonline journal Setting up PgAgent and Doing Scheduled Backups.  Its old 2008 but no matter. So I followed all the steps and then damm..
    • Trouble getting pgagent to start.  On my German machine this nice error shows when I try to start the service/dienst " Dienst "PostgreSQL Scheduling Agent - pgagent" wurde auf "Lokaler Computer" gestartet und dann angehalten. Einige Dienste werden automatisch angehalten, wenn sie nicht von anderen Diensten oder Programmen verwendet werden."  
    • This basically says screw you because of one or more of the following causes:
      1. wrong username
      2. wrong password
      3. user has no access privaleges to the db
      4. user has no wrights to execute stuf
    • So I check the pgpass.conf file located %APPDATA%\postgresql\pgpass.conf   You can get the location by typing   echo %appdata% inthe command prompt window
    • Solution is that the user ./postgres  didn't have the correct permissions so I just did a quick permissions change and super duper its working!
  2. Well its now working!
I'll try to post all the steps next time in the installation to compliment the good work done Posted by Leo Hsu and Regina Obe

Comments

Popular Posts